Thursday, June 4, 2009

A little bit of an introduction

A blog certainly deserves an introduction to its author, and someday I’ll probably write a more complete one.  But for now this  will just have to do!

I could say that I’m just a typical middle-aged man, which is how I tend to think of myself.  But after reading this blog you may decide I’m pretty atypical.  I was brought up in your standard American middle-class family, have had a good career, family, nice house in the suburbs, etc.  While it’s been quite a while since I had truly difficult financial times, I very well remember being one or two paychecks away from being out on the street.   More than once.  As I said, that was quite a while ago.  Sounds typical right?  And pretty boring.  So let’s get to the good stuff.

From my first sexual high-school sexual experience into my early 40s I was serially monogamous.  With few exceptions shortly after one monogamous relationship ended another would begin, leaving me with an adequate quantity of sex (other than during a period of what definitely qualifies as a “sexless marriage”) but very little in the way of variety.  Most of my fantasies remained just that, and my desire to explore and have a wide variety of sexual experiences was suppressed in order to maintain the relationship.

Then I had what one could call a mid-life crisis, though I considered it more of an “ah ha” moment.  As my parents generation started to pass away I thought about my own life and what I might regret never having done when I reached my death-bed.  While a number of things came to mind, one really jumped out.  I had been suppressing  my true sexual being my entire life, and that was the one thing about ME that I wasn’t happy with.  So I set out on a journey to satisfy my curiosity and explore all of my sexual interests.

I still think of myself as being early in my journey of sexual exploration, particularly since I always seem to be adding new things to my list.  There have been some surprises along the way, most importantly that I found my perfect lover.  We explore together as well as separately, a freedom that drives us ever closer together.  Take that all of you who believe monogamy is a required attribute of a healthy relationship :-)

No comments: