Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Tribute

We all can point to people who have had a huge impact on our lives, usually our parents, grandparents, siblings, or other relatives. A spouse. Perhaps a teacher or career mentor. Today I want to pay tribute to someone I've never met, but whose influence I've felt for the last few years. I know her only through occasional vignettes relayed to me by the woman I love. From those vignettes, and the way my lover talked of her mother-in-law, I know she was a very special person.

When I first met my lover she had been widowed for several years. In those early days we often talked about her husband and I quickly grew to like and respect him. To this day he holds a place of high honor with me, because without him the woman I love would simply not exist. And while her husband was long gone by the time I met my lover, his mother continued to live with her and influence her life. I will forever be thankful for the time she walked this earth, and the legacy she left behind.

I know that tonight my lover is in extreme pain, and my heart goes out to her and to her entire family. You, and the world, have suffered a great loss.

No comments: